Strange times and friends in higher places (part 1)….

Looking back at the events of the last 2 weeks is leaving me stunned, when I see how much not only the life around me, but the world in general has changed and this will in many ways also affect the future content of this diary……but with this I will probably find myself in good company with my readers, where ever you are on the globe.

Driving further South while returning to the UK, I once again changed the operating theatre with the conference room for more Board and committee meetings with my other European Small Animal Veterinary colleagues. The meetings were hosted under a range of hygiene precautions (which appear inadequate, applying today’s requirements) in a huge cinema complex in Antwerp and coincided with the Belgian Small Animal Veterinary Congress.

Some of our colleagues had already declined the invitation, as they considered the journey as too much of a risk for their personal circumstances and indeed would a similar gathering not have been possible a week later. I am actually wondering how long it will now take, before we will be able to safely gather again in a similar setting…..

Following Antwerp and after having travelled nearly 13 000 km since the beginning of December, I finally arrived back home in the South of England.

Most of the next day was spend just with extracting all my stuff – which included not less than five sets of – unfortunately mostly unused – pairs of skis and a similar number of ski boots and running shoes – from my trusted carriage. I then even went so far as to afford a decent car wash, an expense which I had considered absolutely pointless while driving every day along untarmacked roads in Sweden. With a bit of soap and a lot of TLC the old BMW looked – nearly – like new again…..

Another country, another consulting room……

The friendly team in Abingdon, where I had worked already last November had requested my return and this time I was able to work out of their beautiful Didcot branch. Returning to exclusively English consultations, it took me a couple of days to catch up with all the things that had changed in my absence, getting to know new drugs and re-learning the names of familiar and not so familiar faces.

COVID 19 related health warnings were now a common feature and each client was vetted as a potential health risk before being allowed to enter the surgery. Appointments were more spaced out and hand disinfectants were used liberally.

Once I had got adjusted to my new/old working environment, the weekend arrived and Silke and I – following a detailed risk-benefit analysis (including a bottle of antipodean Sauvignon Blanc) – agreed to go on a pre-arranged trip to Bavaria, where a few nice and not so nice surprises awaited us…….

Published by The Blue Vet

I am a veterinary surgeon with a German and Norwegian educational background. I have been the founder and for over 20 years I have been the senior veterinarian at the Virginia Water Veterinary Clinic in Surrey, England. When starting this blog I was also the President of FECAVA, the Federation of European Companion Animal Veterinary Associations. In the summer of 2019 I left my clinic to work as an international locum and clinical advisor. I am interested in all aspects of clinical companion animal medicine, in endurance sports and in traveling and meeting people with and without their pets and especially in sharing my knowledge with colleagues in other parts of Europe and the World.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: